Wednesday, March 18, 2009

valkyrie and the missing hamartia


This was the theatrical experience of tragedy as they taught it when I was a kid: it involved an emotional catharsis for the audience, which was set off by a character's reversal of fortune (or peripeteia), which in turn had been triggered by his own hamartia, or fatal flaw. Nowadays they're translating the Greek differently, I hear, and the hamartia can be something as simple as a mistake or an error in judgment, to which I say crap! utter rubbish. And I don't mean the translators are necessarily wrong, but that Aristotle was, if this is what he meant to say.

Valkyrie is a case in point. Why did it fail? One reviewer said the device of using British actors to play Nazis was too old and tired to carry a film anymore, but that's not it, not for me, anyway; I love it; I'll never get tired of that. That stiff upper lip thing slides right over into "Ve haf vaze ahf making you talk" wonderfully well, like Laurence Olivier in Marathon Man. "I ask you once more: is it safe?" Brrr! Chills me just thinking of it. (That said,-- sidebar here,-- it's one of the few genuinely Teutonic actors who has the most chillingly effective moment in Valkyrie: it's Thomas Kretschmann as the officer who must puzzle out what's going on and ultimately decide who triumphs, and the moment is the one in which he decides.)

It's a tough subject, the Valkyrie Plot, a moment so crucial in the German mythos that it in some ways defines the country. I understand the German reticence at Hollywood taking this hallowed story into its careless hands. A rough equivalent might be the Irish reaction if Roland Emmerich directed Hunger or the uproar in the Jewish community when Mel Gibson announced he wanted to film the story of the Maccabees (a film which I would give much to see and, alas, apparently never will).

The problem for me is this: sometimes I cannot surrender myself emotionally to a film. Usually the root of that failure lies in what might be called the Spielberg Hustle, in which a filmmaker uses every possible tactic to manipulate our emotional responses, employing elements not organic to the story or characters in doing it, and so abusing our trust and revealing an emptiness at the film's core where its heart ought to have been. Valkyrie, on the other hand, was a different matter: I mistrusted it because I knew the story, knew the vale of tears into which these people were headed, and I could not accompany them without withholding my heart. Afterwards I was disturbed by it: was the flaw in the film somewhere, which, from a technical standpoint, was very well done? or was it a flaw in me as a spectator? Have I become one of those yellow-bellied whingers who can only watch a movie with a happy ending? Surely not. After all, I know where Hamlet and King Kong are headed, and I throw myself full-force into the ring with those fellows with repeated zeal. Das Boot comes to mind: I know where they're bound, have since I saw it in the theatre, and yet I set off time and again in that claustrophobic little metal contraption and hope and laugh and fear and cry and emerge richer for it in the end. So why not Cruise's Stauffenberg on his ill-fated mission to assassinate the Fuehrer? What is it about Valkyrie that stopped me from committing?

I was cruising around the internet when I found the answer: it was on a website which outlined the basics of every known attempt on Hitler's life. In a passing remark, the webster wrote, "Stauffenberg believed that only he could accomplish it," and that set off the eureka moment in my mind. THAT was the fatal flaw which might have turned the pathos into tragedy. As the movie stands now, Stauffenberg's only mistake is in leaving the scene of the crime without verifying that Hitler is dead, a small error in judgment. If instead he'd been driven by the hubris of thinking only he could bring off this assassination, that it was a destiny of his and no one else should touch it, then there it is: the wound through which the gods enter. There's the flaw that makes him human and upon its back we can climb up to the heights of tragedy instead of wallowing in the mud of pathos, a state in which we are showed the horrors of life but given no exalting catharsis, no chance to come away from the cinema with that revitalizing awe which tragedy, when well done, inspires.

In an essay on tragedy, Edith Hamilton(*) writes, "Undeserved suffering is not in itself tragic. Death is not tragic in itself... It is not Hamlet's hesitation to kill his uncle that is tragic. It is his power to feel. Change all the circumstances of the drama and Hamlet in the grip of any calamity would be tragic, just as Polonius would never be, however awful the catastrophe. The suffering of a soul that can suffer greatly -- that and only that is tragedy." It's possible that Cruise gave us too much noble action figure and too little true feeling; it's possible that the fault was in the script and not any of his. It is also possible that the same political correctness which lambastes filmmakers when they try to examine Hitler as a human being instead of a mere monster (as in the initial outcry, later tempered by some, to 2002's underrated Max) may have stripped this particular Stauffenberg of the very humanness which might have raised him up onto the giddy heights from which tragic heroes gaze forlornly down at us.

* see Gilder et al. Theatre Arts Anthology, Theatre Arts Books, NY 1950

6 comments:

enriquefeto said...

Fantastic analysis...

WHY are you not writing for the new york times?

And which Spielberg movies have you observed the "Hustle" in? Eh? Don't say E.T.!

lisa said...

HOOK is the one that really made my blood run cold while I sat horrified in the theatre. But, honestly, it was ET which first began my Spielberg disappointment. I guess I wasn't young enough when I saw it. Then TEMPLE OF DOOM resoundingly confirmed that he had surrendered entirely to the dark (or at least manipulate-y) side.

You're so sweet. The TIMES, of course, has been wooing me, but I don't want to risk the possibility that prosperity might blunt my creative edge, so I'm holding them firmly at bay.

enriquefeto said...

I can still recall being around 8 or so, sitting in front of the TV and humming John Williams' theme while watching the film repeatedly. Years later, I remember my 9 year-old little brother crying and asking my mom "What's gonna happen to E.T.?" even though he had seen it at least 10 times before. Maybe you're right about needing to watch it at that stage in one's life. But there are certainly those of us who view it as one of the truly magical moments of cinema.

GOD I love Temple of Doom. I never have been able to figure out why it gets so much shit from people. It's pure comedy, adventure and escapist popcorn yumminess. Maybe you can explain all the animus to me!

lisa said...

I just read a book by a critic who's some fifteen years older than me, and he dismissed the first STAR WARS movie with an "I have nothing to say about this," which seems INSANE to me... I was 12 when it hit and it was life-changing for me; I saw it 21 times IN THE THEATER (this was before VCRs) (yes, I am ancient; bow down to my wizenedness)... So age absolutely matters. Keep in mind I saw ET not on its first release but its second, sometime during my college years when I was just in the thick of my first I-Question-Everything-And-Dismiss-Most-Of-It time. And, just as that first STAR WARS will always hold the warm glow of that early love for me, I doubt that ET can ever reach beyond that first reaction I had to it. I hope I will never be so surly and selfish as to dismiss it as unimportant, though... Slap me if ever I do.

As for TEMPLE... Let me think on that... I think it has to do with the first RAIDERS having been an actual story with actual characters, while TEMPLE, fun as it was, really wanted to be a computer game rather than a movie. (Also, I was deep into fascination with Thuggee at the time and was grumpy at its misguided depiction. But, you know, that's just my personal grudge.) I'll ponder on it some more, see if I can pin a more precise tag on the animus...

enriquefeto said...

1) I truly love the fact that you actually saw A NEW HOPE 21 times! That may even be more times than I've seen it in my time on this Earth -- though I can only be a couple viewings away from breaking your record. I too got into those movies around the same age that you were when it came out. For someone to dismiss their impact -- why, it's simply quite Ewok of them!

2) HOOK was horrible - just horrible - and when I saw it (at the age of maybe 13) I too sat paralyzed in something akin to embarrassment throughout much of the film. What an abortion that was.

3) You, O Double-Barreled-Filmhunter, did yourself a grand disservice by choosing to experience E.T. in its "re-release" spawning in 2001 or whatever. It was all a big mistake. Scenes were added that didn't belong (like Indy-Jones-as-principal-scolding-Elliott or CGI E.T. taking a bath) and stuff was removed for ridiculous reasons ("I'm gonna dress up as a terrorist, Mom!" became "I'm gonna go as a goblin" -- guns trained on the fleeing kids by the vicious police mob in the film's most powerful scene were digitally changed into innocuous walkie-talkies because Steven no longer felt "right" about it, etc). Most significantly, E.T. was changed from a tangible, physical organism into a manic computer-generated fiend.... I could go on and on. But I never have watched that version again. It's all about the 1982 original.

4) Let me know about TEMPLE. From the QUINTESSENTIAL opening in pre-WW II Japan to Indy's courting of Willie in "Pankot Palace," all amidst John Williams' spectacular score... why... it's just delicious-- a snack I'd eat almost any time.

lisa said...

Enriquefeto, I adore your passion. The ET I saw was actually the FIRST re-release... they put it back in cinemas in the summer of 1985 (because they just didn't make enough money off it the first time) and that's when I saw it. So it was the right version... I was just the wrong person, I think.

You make me want to go back and watch TEMPLE again, oh you with the great enthusiasm... I just may!